Social media is one of the most important sources of traffic after search engines. But it is tough to get large amount of traffic from social media. It depends to a great extent to the content that you create and how you market that content. In this article we discuss the strategies to go viral on social media i.e. to Create Viral Content for social media
Before we get into the details of the how to go viral, first try to understand what virality means. When you create a piece of content you share it with your friends. If the content is interesting, then your friends share it with their friends and so on. If content gets shared or distributed to a large number of people without much effort on the part of the creator of the content, the content is said to have gone viral. As an example, think of Kolaveri di and Gangnum style video. It went viral not only on internet but also on TV and radio.
The best part of a viral piece of content is that it helps you to acquire traffic at a very cheap price. But that does not necessarily mean that viral marketing is cheap since it takes a lot of money and efforts to create viral content.
1) Build a persona – First step in viral content creation is to figure out who is likely to share you content on social media. Get as many details about the target persona as possible. Especially pay attention to demographics, location, interests, and education. Don’t stop at those and try to get more details. Figure out who represents your target personal on social media and try to read (spy on) their profile. Observe what they share, what they like, how they live life. Understand as much about them as possible. The more you understand about them, easier it will be to Create Viral Content that appeals to them.
2) Define goal – Viral content can have various goals – getting shares, traffic, links, conversions, registrations or money. Define what it is for your campaign. This will help you understand whom to target and how. It will also help you measure the returns on your efforts.
3) Test the success – Once you have an idea of what you want to write about in content, reach out to a potential blogger who would share that content and ask them about their opinion. Would they share it? If yes why? If not, why not? This will help you craft a credible copy and headline for the content and improve it further if does not appeal.
4) Content – Now try to come up with content ideas. You won’t need any tools. You just need to brainstorm the topics within your team. Always have somebody who can provide a feedback on your ideas and suggest new ones. For great content idea make use of social media websites like stumbleupon, reddit, mixx, digg etc. You will get some of the best ideas by observing something that has already become popular. Now filter out the ideas that are not interesting to read and create a piece that users must share.
5) Data – Provide the proof with data. Some of the most viral pieces of content were those that were supported with data. Try to get the data for your idea. And don’t use existing viral content, instead find original source of data.
6) Design – Create simple designs for the content. Think about infographics that go viral. They are interesting but simple to understand. Ensure that design looks professional otherwise nobody with believe what you have written.
Follow these steps and create something amazing and rest assured, your content will go viral. If you have any experience in viral marketing, do share your thoughts below in comments.