Samsung is trying hard to roll out Ice Cream Sandwich for almost all capable phones of them. Galaxy R is not one to neglect anyway. Galaxy R was a low budget Higher end Smartphone which was released as a mini edition of Galaxy S2 and became very popular by the time as the specifications were challenging with less budget. It can also be called as a successor of Galaxy S. This is an Update Galaxy R i9103 guide.
I was also one of the Proud owner of Galaxy R at that time. The Galaxy R was stopped all in a sudden because of some minor issues in the chip-set. As far I have seen Galaxy series, Galaxy R is one of the best Phones from the series but with less frequent updates.
But here is the good news for those who are in frustration waiting for the Ice cream sandwich for their Galaxy R i9103. This is an official Poland version of ICS for i9103 but can be applied to any country phone, but the user must select Phone language as English during the first boot. He may not find his regional language. You can find more details about the firmware from the Firmware Details section below.
- The Instructions given in this article is related only to the Samsung Galaxy R bearing Model number i9103 . Using them to deal with other phones may brick/harm your phone. By doing so , You might also risk loosing your Phone warranty.
- The instructions given on this article is for education purpose only, We cannot not give you guarantee for the working.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We will not be responsible for any loss/harm caused for you, your Phone or any other devices.
- Read every instructions and cautions completely before you proceed for installation.
Firmware Details :
- Phone Model : GT-i9103
- Official :YES
- Firmware Version : 4.0.4
- PDA : I9103XWLP2
- CSC : I9103OXXLP2
- Release date : 2012-09-04
- Regions : Poland, But can be applied in any country , But must choose Phone language as English language
- Root conditions : This update will not root your Phone
- Warranty : This update will not Void your Phone Warranty.
* You must Backup your Phone before you proceed with the Installation process, You can Backup the following:
- SMS - Using SMS backup & Restore app
- Contacts -You can sync yourandroid Phone contacts with google account, or else you can take a back up to your Phone SD card or Internal memory.
- Images, Music & Videos – Move files from your Phone’s internal memory to Your PC or SD card.
- Call log – Call log backup and restore app
- Access Point Names – Internet APNs will be auto installed when you turn on your Phone, If they wont you must have a copy to restore.
* You must make sure that your Phone has at least 30-50% battery remaining depending of your battery health.
* If your Phone is already rooted, then installing this firmware will revoke root access.
* You must have USB drivers for your Phone and Kies installed on your PC before proceeding, You can find them on samsung website, or by searching online.
* You must enable USB Debugging mode from the Developments option in your Phone Setting. i.e. Phone Settings>>Development options>>USB debugging (Tick this)
Steps to Update Galaxy R i9103 with ICS:
- Download the Odin software to your Windows using one of the link below
- Download the Firmware for your Samsung Galaxy R GT-i9103 from the link given below
- Hotfile Link to download firmware for Samsung Galaxy R
- If you do not wish to download using Hot file link then you can download it by following instructions on Download Official ICS Firmware for Samsung Galaxy R
- Extract the rar/zip firmware package file downloaded to your computer.
- Enter Download mode on your Galaxy R Phone. To enter download mode on your Phone, You must switch off your Phone and then start it on by pressing Volume down+Home+Power button all together until you see some logo on Phone screen.
- Now connect your Samsung Galaxy R Phoneto PC using USB cable and Open Odin software which you downloaded before.
- You must see Yellow mark on the ID : COM section inside the Odin window. It indicates that the Phone is successfully connected to PC .
- Now click on PDA on your Odin, browse the extracted .tar or .tar.md5 file and select the file. If you find more than one file When you extract the zip file after downloading then you must select all the file types for installation in odin If you find only one file then it will be PDA with .tar.md5 extension :
- PIT – File name with .pit extension. like example.pit
- PDA – File name with .tar.md5 extension. like example.tar.md5
- CSC – File name with model name and the word CSC in it with .tar.md5 extension. like example.tar.md5
- Phone – File name with the word Modem in it with .tar.md5 extension. like example.tar.md5
Anyway you need not worry about the file names as the odin will not take CSC for PDA and PDA for CSC or so.
- Click Start and wait till Pass! text appears inside the ID : COM section and it also turns green. ( 3-8 Minutes).
- You will see “Removed” on the activity log section of Odin. Now remove the USB.
- If you have any problem with the firmware, then You must Clear cache and Restore Factory defaults of your Phone by entering recovery mode on your Phone to know more about this and about updating via odin you can refer How to clear memory cache and restore factory defaults from recovery mode on samsung Galaxy R.
If your Phone starts looping in the boot screen or struck in the welcome screen or end up in blank screen wait for few minutes and try to restore factory defaults and clear cache by following this article. If it doesn’t work , don’t worry, You can install any other firmware. You can drop comments if you come across any trouble while updating.