Smartphones, such as iPhone and its Android counterpart, are quite common place to see in the world today. The primary use of the cell-phone has become more of an after-thought when choosing which kind of phone you want. Internet connectivity, apps, games, and more are more of a driving force for the purchase of these devices. Aside from the status symbols the smartphones represent, what ultimate functions can these devices accomplish?
1. Office Compatibility – Documents can be created and edited from the smartphone and shared with the office even if you are in a different state. Presentations in PowerPoint and charts created in Excel can be used from the smartphone adding greater flexibility to the office and client setting.
2. Pay It – Using your iPhone or Android device, you can pay for consumables at supporting locations. There are even apps that will allow you to make a payment from one smartphone to another.
3. In the Bank – Technologies are expanding in a way that anyone can accept credit card and digital payments with the smartphone. Technologies such as SquareUp.com can allow you to swipe a credit or debit card and receive the payment into your bank account the next business day – minus a small fee.
4. Gaming – The hardware components in smartphones is expanding at an incredible rate. Visually stunning games can be played from the iPhone or Android device with unbelievable clarity and detail.
5. Entertainment – Aside from the usual access of the Internet, many phones are equipped to handle a wide range of streaming content for entertainment. While the screen size may be small, streaming video from Netflix on a 3G, WiFi, or better network can give you something to watch while sitting in the hotel room on business trips.
6. Social Media – Nearly every social media giant has an app to access its website using mobile friendly coding. Facebook, YouTube, and more can be viewed on the smartphone without scrolling through content or trying to read small texts.
7. What Laptop? – Many people lug a bulky laptop around to locations whether it is for work or personal use. Smartphones have developed in such a way, that many of these people don’t need to carry the extra luggage of a laptop. Although there are quite a few reasons as to why a laptop can still be important, email and Internet users can reduce their carry-on concerns.
Mobility for information is of utmost importance in the world today. Staying connected and communicating with whomever you wish keeps the world spinning for now. It’s an exciting time we live technology-wise and many of us sit on the edge of our seats to see what new innovations are in store in the near future.