There are several ways to install firmware package on a Android Smartphone, (no matter official or custom) Firmwares should be in tar (.tar.md5) format(.tar format is a zip format on Linux platform ). Installing the firmware using odin is the best way to do it anyway. You can install official stock ROMS (Official firmwares through OTA and Samsung Kies) as well as custom ROMs (unofficially built).
You must install USB drivers and Kies on your computer for this. You must also enable USB debugging option on your phone. You can find it on Settings>>Development>>USB debugging.
Steps to install Firmware package on phone using Odin:
1. Download the Odin software to your Windows using one of the link below
2. Backup your files, messages, contacts , apps and other things from your phone using softwares like SMS Backup, Contacts backup, Astro apps backup softwares available on play store.
3. Power off your Phone.
4. Press and hold down Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time and leave them as soon as you see Samsung logo on the screen.
5. Press Volume Up button if you get warning prompt.
6. Odin download mode will be loaded.
7. Connect USB cable to your phone and open Odin on your computer, You must see an yellow mark inside the odin if it is successfully connected to your phone.
8. Click on PDA and select the firmware package ( .tar or .tar.md5 format ) file downloaded for your Phone.
To download firmwares for your Phone you can check out How to Download official firmwares for Android Phone
Now click on PDA on your Odin, browse the extracted .tar or .tar.md5 file and select the file. If you find more than one file When you extract the zip file after downloading then you must select all the file types for installation in odin If you find only one file then it will be PDA with .tar.md5 extension :
- PIT - File name with .pit extension. like example.pit
- PDA – File name with .tar.md5 extension. like example.tar.md5
- CSC – File name with model name and the word CSC in it with .tar.md5 extension. like example.tar.md5
- Phone – File name with the word Modem in it with .tar.md5 extension. like example.tar.md5
Anyway you need not worry about the file names as the odin will not take CSC for PDA and PDA for CSC or so.
9. After you select the firmware package file Click Start
10. Remove USB cable from your phone when you see green PASS! On your Odin software.
11. If you find any problem with your phone after you install firmware package then restore cache and factory defaults from recovery mode of the Phone. To enter recovery mode of your Android Phone, you must switch off the and turn it on pressing volume up+Home+switch off button all together, you must leave them when you see Samsung logo on the scree.
12. You cannot use your touch pad on restore mode, you can use volume up and down to move above and below the list, and can use power button or home button to select highlighted.
Disclaimer: GoHarsh.com or any other software mentioned on this article are not responsible for any crashes or damages caused during update.